(L-R) His Beatitude Theophilos III, Commander Limberakis, His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros and Speaker Pelosi
WASHINGTON, DC, July 17, 2019 – Today, the Order of St Andrew – Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, led by Archon National Commander Anthony Limberakis, hosted a sidebar reception during the U.S. Department of State’s Second Annual Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom. The reception, which took place in the U.S. Capitol building, featured Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, other prominent Senators and Members of Congress and the newly-enthroned Greek Orthodox Archbishop of America, His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros.
(L-R) National Commander Limberakis, His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros and Senator Bob Menendez
In total, seventeen Senators and Members attended including Speaker Pelosi, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Ranking Member Bob Menendez, House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel, House Appropriations Committee Chair Nita Lowey and House Global Human Rights Subcommittee Ranking Member Chris Smith.
His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros with Chairwoman Nita Lowey
Other dignitaries in attendance included: Patriarch of Jerusalem His Beatitude Theophilos III, Coptic Orthodox Archbishop of London His Eminence Archbishop Angaelos, Ambassador of Cyprus to the US Marios Lysiotis, and Ambassador of the EU to the US Stavros Lambrinidis, among others.
Andy Manatos with Speaker Pelosi
Other Senators and Members of Congress in attendance:
• Congressman Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), Co-Chair, House International Religious Freedom Caucus; Founding Co-Chair, Hellenic-Israel Alliance; Co-Chair, Hellenic Caucus
• Congressman David Cicilline (D-RI), House Leadership; House Foreign Affairs Committee
• Congressman Jim Cooper (D-TN), House Armed Services Committee
• Congressman Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN),House Appropriations Committee
• Congressman Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ), Co-Chair, House Problem Solvers Caucus
• Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Co-Chair, Hellenic Caucus; Vice Chair, Joint Economic Committee
• Congressman Sean Maloney (D-NY),House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
• Congressman Chris Pappas (D-NH), House Veteran’s Affairs Committee
• Congressman Jamie Raskin (D-MD),House Leadership
• Congressman John Sarbanes (D-MD), House Energy and Commerce Committee
• Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Senate Appropriations Committee
• Congresswoman Dina Titus (D-NV), House Foreign Affairs Committee
Chairman Eliot Engel with Commander Limberakis